- Go over spreadsheet data stories
- Review Flowing Data/Source for this week
- Discuss how the homework went — what sites were most/least helpful?
- Discuss interviewing data article
- Useful types of data sets
- Converting PDF to spreadsheet –> http://tabula.technology/
- Categorize our questions — are they:
- Review how to answer
- Other – you may need more info, may not be appropriate as a data question, may need a not-yet-covered bit of Excel
- Hand in completed questions, with answers, about your data set. You may have completed this in class, or you might not be finished, in which case you’ll have a bit of work to do at home.
- Includes a spreadsheet of questions
- The data set you are using
- A memo explaining what process you used to arrive at each of those answers.
- Read the following, and be prepared to discuss:
- Why data viz matters – http://www.mulinblog.com/data-visualization-matters/
- Principles of visual design – http://webstyleguide.com/wsg3/7-page-design/4-visual-design-principles.html
- History of visualization – http://data-art.net/resources/history_of_vis.php
- Use what we discussed in class today to carefully consider your final project topic. Can you use any of these insights? Do you need more info? A different data set? Your project idea is due in 2 weeks. Use this process to help you arrive at a topic.